Water Damage and Mold

Protect Yourself from Mold


  • People with asthma, allergies, or other breathing conditions may be more sensitive to mold.
  • If you or your family members have health problems after exposure to mold, contact your doctor or other health care provider.
  • Controlling moisture in your home is the most critical factor for preventing mold growth.
  • If you plan to be inside the building for a while or you plan to clean up mold, you should buy an N95 mask at your local home supply store and wear it while in the building.
After natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods, excess moisture and standing water contribute to the growth of mold in homes and other buildings. When returning to a home that has been flooded, be aware that mold may be present and may be a health risk for your family.

People at Greatest Risk from Mold

People with asthma, allergies, or other breathing conditions may be more sensitive to mold. People with immune suppression (such as people with HIV infection, cancer patients taking chemotherapy, and people who have received an organ transplant) are more susceptible to mold infections.

Possible Health Effects of Mold Exposure

People who are sensitive to mold may experience stuffy nose, irritated eyes, wheezing, or skin irritation. People allergic to mold may have difficulty in breathing and shortness of breath. People with weakened immune systems and with chronic lung diseases, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs. If you or your family members have health problems after exposure to mold, contact your doctor or other health care provider.

Recognizing Mold

You may recognize mold by:
  • Sight (Are the walls and ceiling discolored, or do they show signs of mold growth or water damage?)
  • Smell (Do you smell a bad odor, such as a musty, earthy smell or a foul stench?) 

    Safely Preventing Mold Growth

    When in doubt,  call an environmental inspector and have your home checked. You can contact One Source Group at 1-866-518-7658
    Source(s): cdc.gov


    Lead in Homes

    Facts about lead

    FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.
    FACT: Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
    FACT: You can get lead in your body by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
    FACT: You have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
    FACT: Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family.

    Health effects of lead

    Childhood lead poisoning remains a major environmental health problem in the United States.
    • People can get lead in their body if they:
      • Put their hands or other objects covered with lead dust in their mouths.
      • Eat paint chips or soil that contains lead.
      • Breathe in lead dust, especially during renovations that disturb painted surfaces.
    • Lead is more dangerous to children because:
      • Babies and young children often put their hands and other objects in their mouths. These objects can have lead dust on them.
      • Children's growing bodies absorb more lead.
      • Children's brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead.
    • If not detected early, children with high levels of lead in their bodies can suffer from:
      • Damage to the brain and nervous system
      • Behavior and learning problems, such as hyperactivity
      • Slowed growth
      • Hearing problems
      • Headaches
    • Lead is also harmful to adults. Adults can suffer from:
      • Reproductive problems (in both men and women)
      • High blood pressure and hypertension
      • Nerve disorders
      • Memory and concentration problems
      • Muscle and joint pain

    Where lead is found

    In general, the older your home, the more likely it has lead-based paint.
    • Paint. Many homes built before 1978 have lead-based paint. The federal government banned lead-based paint from housing in 1978. Some states stopped its use even earlier. Lead can be found:
      • In homes in the city, country, or suburbs.
      • In apartments, single-family homes, and both private and public housing.
      • Inside and outside of the house.
    • In soil around a home. Soil can pick up lead from exterior paint, or other sources such as past use of leaded gas in cars, and children playing in yards can ingest or inhale lead dust.
    • Household dust. Dust can pick up lead from deteriorating lead-based paint or from soil tracked into a home.
    • Drinking water. Your home might have plumbing with lead or lead solder. Call your local health department or water supplier to find out about testing your water. You cannot see, smell or taste lead, and boiling your water will not get rid of lead. If you think your plumbing might have lead in it:
      • Use only cold water for drinking and cooking.
      • Run water for 15 to 30 seconds before drinking it, especially if you have not used your water for a few hours.
    • The job. If you work with lead, you could bring it home on your hands or clothes. Shower and change clothes before coming home. Launder your work clothes separately from the rest of your family's clothes.
    • Old painted toys and furniture.
    • Food and liquids stored in lead crystal or lead-glazed pottery or porcelain. Food can become contaminated because lead can leach in from these containers.
    • Lead smelters or other industries that release lead into the air.
    • Hobbies that use lead, such as making pottery or stained glass, or refinishing furniture.
    • Folk remedies that contain lead, such as "greta" and "azarcon" used to treat an upset stomach.

    Don't risk your family's health, contact us now at (866) 518-7658 or info@1-sg.com or visit our site http://www.1-sg.com/